The neighborhood of Rosemont was once a region marked by religious fervor, where the church played an important role in establishing the community.
Built between 1901 and 1909, St-Edward's Catholic Church honors Edward the Confessor, an English King that reigned between 1047 and 1066, and later achieved sainthood. Through the early 1900's, the area rapidly developed and took on the very name of this church and became St-Edward's Parish.
On October 4th, 1866, Ucal-Henri Dandurand was born and would forever change the landscape of the region. Through the early stages of the industrial revolution, Dandurand was paramount to residential development of the region, more notably with his role and collaboration with the Montreal Light, Heat and Power Company. Dandurand pioneered the concept of what could be considered as the modern-day mortgage, by allowing buyers in that era the ability to purchase land through a series of scheduled payments.
Not only fundamental from a development standpoint, Dandurand was admired and respected in many elite sectors of Montreal, taking residence in the Golden Square Mile, establishing the French Bourgeoisie sector along Sherbrooke Street and being the first Quebecer to own a motorized vehicle.
The Saint-Edouard local bar pays tribute to these historical roots, defined by community building and innovation.